DIY golden feathers


Happy first day of March. Only 20 more days until SPRING! I'm starting to get excited for all the wonderful projects I want to do, most of them outside, so some warmer weather would be nice.

I've seen pictures of these gold dipped feathers scattered over pinterest and decided to give it a try. I used to make feather jewellery (that's how my business first started, but I've since got into beading and wirework), needless to say I still have heaps of feathers. Here's how I did it.

I decided to use spray paint, I used this one, and taped away the parts I didn't want to be gold with green painters tape. I find masking tape leaves behind glue, so I spent a couple extra dollars and bought the good stuff.


Make sure you have newspaper or something down behind the feathers. I did two coats on either side. I waited a day for them to dry, but the bottle says that it dries a lot faster than that.

I was happy with the result, but next time I think I will make sure the tape is more secure, the paint ran a bit into the area I had taped off, but maybe that's normal. All in all it worked.


I think these will be great for photo-shoots and staging, or just for decoration. Now what can I spray gold next?!?