recipe - lemon soufflé tarte



I got my mom 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking', by Julia Child, for Christmas. Needless to say, I've been using it lots. I love cooking and baking, and this obviously has some great recipes. I also love Julia's notes on the side on how to cook everything. I tried out her tarte au citron. However, I used my own pastry crust, because I know it turns out with my Earth Balance, and it's absolutely delicious! 

To be perfectly honest, I wanted to make more of a tart than a soufflé, but I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. Now, it says in the book that you are suppose to eat it right out of the oven, but I didn't notice that until later, so it was cold when I ate it. If you leave it to cool it deflates in the middle. When I made my soufflé the filling was piled really high (I was a bit afraid when I added it to the pastry dish), so when it deflated it flattened out and made what you see in the picture above. It still tasted so good! So don't worry if you can't eat it right away, it still tastes great later. Although, next time I make this I AM going to plan a bit better and eat it right away, I want to get the full fluffy taste. 

Tarte au citron (lemon soufflé tart)

Pastry
1 1/4 cup unbleached white flour
1/3 cup almond flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
9 Tablespoons butter (I use Soy Free Earth Balance, but you can use regular butter if you would like)
1 egg yolk
pinch of salt



- in a food processor mix the flours, sugar, salt and butter.- then add the egg yolk. Blend until soft.- butter the tart pan, then press the pastry into it -- pressing it up on the side to form a 'bowl'.



- freeze for 30 min.
- while this is happening you can go and make the filling- then bake at 375° for 10 min. Then reduce oven to 325°

Filling
1/2 cup granulated sugar 
4 egg yolks
1 lemon - using the rind and juice

4 egg whites
a pinch of salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar



In the book Julia says that you need to "set [stainless steel bowl with egg yolks] bowl over not-quite-simmering water and stir with wooden spoon until mixture is too hot for your finger and thickens enough to coat the spoon lightly, be careful not to overheat it and scramble the egg yolks." I had to read this over and over again to try and understand what to do. I don't know if this is a regular thing thats done in baking, but I was confused. So this is what I did... did I do this right?


Here are my instructions... 
- set up a pot of water on the stove, one big enough for your stainless steel bowl to fit on top of, I think the picture helps. 



In a stainless steel bowl using a whisk:
- add 4 egg yolks and gradually beat the sugar into them until the mixture is thick
- then beat in the grated rind from one lemon
- add 3 Tbls. of the lemon juice (which can be found from juicing one lemon)
- set bowl over the pot of water, you want the water to be simmering, not bowling - hot enough to give off some steam
- then mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture is too hot to touch, but be careful not to heat it too much so you don't scramble your eggs 

While the mixture was heating up I set up my KitchenAid, with the whisk, mixer and added the egg whites, salt, and sugar - mix until the egg whites form a peak. 



Then, take the egg yolk mixture off the pot, add the egg white mixture to the egg yolk mixture and fold it in slowly, you want it to be as fluffy as possible. 



Bake at 325° for 30 minutes, or until tart has begun to puff and colour. 


If you are eating it right away sprinkle it with some powdered sugar, if not, let it sit, then when you are ready to eat it, put it in the oven for around 10 minutes to warm, then sprinkle with the sugar


Enjoy!